I have avoided eating red meat or pork since I learned how long it takes my body to digest it and recognized the headaches that set in days after I do. Turkey bacon was NOT a love of mine until Applegate came up with a very tasty and clean version several years ago. Since then, BLT’s have been on my radar. Because the fat is pretty much isolated to the healthy avocado, the only thing that stops me from eating them weekly is the bread. Feel free to use a romaine or collard green wrap instead! Skip the avocado to reduce the fat significantly.
- 4 slices of antibiotic-free (preferably sugar free, too!) Turkey Bacon
- Sliced fresh tomato
- Sliced 1/3 medium avocado (optional)
- 2 thin slices of whole wheat bread (for easy digestion, use sprouted wheat)
- Handful of fresh lettuce
- Lightly toast the bread while bacon is heating in a pan on medium heat.
- To avoid using a spread like mayo, dip the bread (one side only) into the pan while the juices are still abundant and slightly mash the avocado. Allow some of the slices to cook longer giving a more rugged feel to the bacon while reserve a few while still moist.
- Top bread with warm bacon, tomato slices, avocado and lettuce.