After going without pizza for several years, even though it was my most favorite food in the world, it was quite a lovely surprise to find that I could make my own without gluten, soy or dairy! It’s now a regular favorite in our house. I make sprouted wheat crust for the kids and my husband and I enjoy the paleo version.
NOTE: You will need a kitchen scale for this recipe; it’s too inconsistent to measure any other way.
170 grams of tapioca flour
125 grams of peeled and cooked potato (cook about 150g or so to yield 125g peeled)
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of avocado oil (or olive)
1/4 cup of coconut milk or almond (plain, unsweetened)
1 large egg
DIRECTIONS- Video available!
- Mix flour, salt and potato (cooled and peeled). Mixing is best when done with a bakers dough cutting tool
- Add the rest of the ingredients but make sure the potatoes have cooled first (I microwave them until soft and then remove the peel – a finger burner if you’re impatient)
- Knead with your hands until blended, adding more tapioca flour if too sticky to handle
- Using parchment paper or a silicone sheet, cover with plastic wrap and roll the dough very thinly in the center, letting the edges go thicker to avoid burning. Thin centers avoid a chewy texture and thicker outer edges are easier to avoid overcooking.
- Cook in 425˚ oven (leaving dough on paper or silicone until it’s rigid enough to flip). Cook the other side for a minute.
- Remove when edges begin to brown but haven’t gone dark.
- Load with your favorite toppings. Uncooked ingredients must be THINLY cut as it will only be in the oven for a short time. We like Applegate turkey pepperoni, thin cut mushrooms, pineapple chunks, pickled jalapeños, red peppers, red onions and thin cut zucchini. Robert’s sauce is the BOMB. You can find it HERE.
Enjoy, guilt free! ~ Lorrie